New Version

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2010 at 10:40 PM

A nice guy by the name of Kevin McGrath has kindly submitted a new version of Power Triggers. This will soon be published as Power Triggers v2. Some of the features of the upcoming new version are:

1. A windows service handles the windows suspend/resume action now so no need for a user to be logged-in.
2. No need for command-line batch files, at least for starting/stopping services, processes and devices.
3. Logs are recorded by the service and fed back to the client application. If any errors have occurred when executing suspend/resume actions then these are clearly identified by error/warning icons in the displayed history.
4. Because the software uses direct calls to .net namespaces for service/device activities, it performs much more quickly than command-line equivalents - this means it is much more likely to complete the execution of suspend tasks before the system actually goes to sleep.
5. The windows service prevents suspend tasks running in parallel to resume tasks.  It does this by using a queue which contains tasks to be completed by a background thread.  the background thread will process the tasks sequentially.  So, if the service is running a list of suspend tasks and then the system goes into sleep mode before the tasks are completed, then when the resume-from-sleep occurs then the list of resume actions will not be executed immediately, instead they are added to the queue where they will be processed once all the suspend tasks have been completed.
5. The background thread that processes the suspend/resume tasks runs as a higher-priority thread, so making it more likely to complete the tasks quickly.

All these changes are currently in testing before the code is uploaded to CodePlex and a new build is published. I hope to have something published before the end of September.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Any progress on this new build?

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Sorry, i've been sidetracked on other projects. I believe the code is ready so I should just need to build it. i'll check it out and try to get it posted ASAP.

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Released now, enjoy.

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Hello. Thank you for this very useful software. I'm using windows 7, x64, and I'm getting the following message when trying to close a device: "Unable to disable device 'xxxxx'. The reported error code is 'InWow64'."

Does this have something to do with windows being x64? Is this program not prepared for that?

Thanks for any help

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Yep it does look like a 64bit issue. I didn't write most of the code so don't know what platforms it was targetting. Next time i'm looking at the code, i'll have a look and see what platforms it should work with (Sorry, can't gurantee when this will be).

I'll create an Issue for it.

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.